Location: 3801 South Madison Street
Named for: Alexander Hannah, Roman Oehler & Romena Oehler Elder
The house was built in 1858 by Alexander Hannah, a harness maker from Wayne County, who earned a small fortune in the California gold rush and used his earnings to purchase property south of Indianapolis. Throughout his life, Hannah served in the Indiana General Assembly, and as sheriff and postmaster.
Hannah and his wife Elizabeth had no heirs when they died, so the home and its 21 acres were purchased in 1899 by Roman Oehler a German immigrant, Civil War veteran and successful Indianapolis jeweler. Roman’s daughter Romena Oehler Elder and her family occupied the house until 1962. Sixteen years later, the Hannah House would receive Historic Landmark status by the Department of the Interior.