Scraping away an iced up window from a Delaware Street apartment building reveals the Eden-Talbott House, now home to a local law firm.
Just north of 13th on North Delaware Street, the Eden-Talbott home was built in two phases. The rear of the house, with the rounded arched windows, was built in 1871 by real estate dealer Aaron Kauffman. Seven years later, Charlton Eden, owner of a planting mill also on Delaware Street, constructed a more elaborate front onto the property. From the current owner’s website:
The new front portion was built in the Italianate and Second Empire styles. The house features a central tower with a carved stone balcony on the second story. Elaborate limestone moldings flank the tower and decorate the many large windows. The 800-piece staircase newel post was displayed at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876. Black walnut, now scarce in Indiana, was used extensively in the ornate arches and carved lions’ heads found throughout the home. Eden’s company had constructed similar woodwork in the nearby Benjamin Harrison home three years before.
Around 1903, Henry Morrison Talbott, a partner in the firm that managed theaters and opera houses within Indianapolis– including the circle’s English Opera House, lived in the house until his death in 1929. After his death, the house changed hands a number of times, housing the International Order of Oddfellows and more recently the National Federation of Music Clubs until the Eden-Talbott was renovated and occupied by a law firm in 2009.