When Charles Bookwalter began his second term as Mayor of Indianapolis in 1906, he made it a priority to build Indianapolis a City Hall. For the previous 30 years, the second Marion County Courthouse was also home to Indianapolis city government. A photograph of the ornate and regal Second Empire building, designed by Isaac M. Hodgson, is featured on this postcard sent the same year Bookwalter began his second term.