This Sunday ad from 1966 targets the “back to school” crowd. Who doesn’t want to dress to impress for the new semester?
(Image: Indiana State Library)
Business: Harry Levinson
Date of Ad: August 18, 1966
Location: Downtown, Northeast corner of Market and Illinois
Years of Operation: 1905-1995
Notable: Many can probably still hear the radio jingle “Harry Levinson is the place” in their head to this day. The Indianapolis men’s clothier was the place to stock up on the latest fashions for the preppy set for generations. The business, founded by Harry A. Levinson, specialized in men’s hats when they opened at 37 North Pennsylvania Street in 1905. By the 1920s the company featured four downtown outlets, including their flagship store at the busy intersection of Illinois and Market Streets. The company opened outposts at all of the suburban shopping malls and ballooned to 114 mid-western locations. By the 1990s, men’s discount retailers took over the market and the company declared bankruptcy. Unable to find a willing buyer, all of the stores closed in 1995.
Additionally: Harry Levinson reappeared for a brief time in the early 2000s. They opened a warehouse in the 400 block of South Illinois Street but their primary focus was e-retail. Unfortunately, the venture proved to be a few years ahead of its time and Harry was again offline by 2002.