Courtesy of the Private Collection of Bradley Keen
Before the days of online banking and tooth fairies who pay $1.00 or more per tooth, local banks like The Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis passed out dime (or quarter) savers, like the one featured here from 1959. An account at the bank wasn’t required, though the bank hoped the user would open an account after accumulating enough dimes to fill the dimesaver.
Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis was chartered as Second State Bank of Indiana in 1834. When its charter was up in 1857, some of the same investors requested a new charter for a different bank, called the Bank of the State of Indiana. However, by 1865, private investors had secured a charter through the National Bank Act of 1863 and opened the Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis at Meridian and Washington Streets in downtown Indianapolis. In 1882, the bank moved a little further down Washington Street, and after that building was destroyed by fire, moved to 3 Virginia Avenue.
From roughly 1912 through 1968, the Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis bought numerous other smaller banks, and increased its customer base all over the city of Indianapolis. By 1970, Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis was the largest bank in the area, and moved to a 37-story building in downtown Indianapolis. However, by 1992, regional bank NBD acquired the Indiana National Bank of Indianapolis. What was INB way back when is now owned by Chase Bank, which unfortunately, does not still offer dime (or quarter) savers.