According to the Company History for the Max Katz Bag Co., Max Katz spoke not english when he came to the United States from Russia. He spent some time in New York in the butcher trade, until he decided travel a little further west and settle in Indianapolis. In 1911, Katz opened the Max Katz Bag Company, a retailer in repurposed burlap and osnaburg (flour sack) bags. The New Jersey Street location listed in this 1925 advertisement was home to the Max Katz Bag Company from the moment it opened until 1977.
The Max Katz Bag Company still exists, and is located at 235 S. LaSalle Street. It is still family-owned, and specializes in a variety of construction-related materials.
And the Max Katz logo of today? Still has those adorable kittens.