In 1916, Philip Rogers Mallory founded the P.R. Mallory & Co. in Port Chester, New York. Mallory moved the company’s headquarters to Indianapolis in 1924, where it remained until 1978. In 1960, Philip passed control of the company to his son, George Barron Mallory. In 1964, P.R. Mallory & Co. registered the Duracell trademark.
In 1975, Philip Rogers Mallory passed away at the age of 90. In 1978, Dart Industries purchased the Duracell division of P.R. Mallory & Co. In 1985, the fragmented metal alloys division was collected by Brian Nathan, a former P.R. Mallory & Co. employee, and now exists as the Mallory Group, headquartered in the U.K. George Barron Mallory passed away the same year.
During its over fifty year history in Indianapolis, P.R. Mallory & Co. was headquartered at 3029 E. Washington Street, near the intersection of Rural and Washington Streets.