Although less known today than other Indianapolis hotels that survived later into the century, the Denison Hotel was considered one of the city’s finest. Despite shaky beginnings, the Denison stood for over fifty years on the southeast corner of East Ohio and North Pennsylvania Streets. In 1870 a group of investors started to build a large hotel, but the construction was not “vigorously pushed” and the project languished. The unfinished, four-story brick structure was nearly destroyed by fire in 1874. A few years later, political mover-and- shaker John C. New, along with Cincinnati businessman John M. Denison and a few others, bought the ruins and built a hotel much more elaborate than originally conceived. Although it was officially named the “New-Denison Hotel,” after the principal investors, it was more commonly referred to as the “Denison Hotel.”