Courtesy of the Indiana Album: Elizabeth Laslie Collection
Uniformed members of Greenfield Knights Templar Commandery No. 39 pose on E. North Street in Indianapolis, looking north toward the Indiana Institute for the Education of the Blind. This undated photograph dates to ca. 1910-1920. The building was demolished in about 1930, when the school moved north to its current location at 7725 N. College Avenue and was renamed Indiana School for the Blind & Visually Impaired. Surprisingly, the Greenfield Commandery, chartered in 1897, is still active. (The Indiana Album: Loaned by Joan Hostetler)
About thirty years later at the same location, four sturdy horses pull an Indianapolis Brewing Company wagon full of wooden kegs. The wagon–probably used more for promotion than transportation–advertises war bonds and stamps, so the photograph must date from the World War II era. The beer wagon is parked on E. North Street with the American Legion Mall and Cenotaph Square (constructed in 1931) in the background. From the left is the Antlers Hotel (currently the site of a parking lot), the spires of the Meridian Street Methodist Episcopal Church (longtime home of the Indiana Business College and later converted into Meridian Arch condominiums), the National Headquarters of the American Legion (constructed in 1924; later the headquarters of the American Legion’s Department of Indiana and currently unoccupied), and the Indianapolis Public Library in the distance. In 1950, the National Headquarters of the American Legion moved into new headquarters on the east side of the mall. (The Indiana Album: Loaned by Elizabeth Laslie)
The American Legion Mall extends two blocks between North, Meridian, St. Clair, and Pennsylvania Streets. The slightly sunken grass mall was designed to provide a perfect sight line from the Indianapolis Central Library (seen in the distance) to the north side of the Indiana War Memorial. At the north end of Legion Mall is Cenotaph Square, built in 1931 to honor Indiana’s war dead. Four black columns surround a black granite cenotaph (an empty tomb), originally designed to honor Evansville resident Corporal James B. Gresham, the first American killed in action during World War I. (Learn more about Gresham in this video produced by students at the F.J. Reitz High School in Evansville.) Originally the space was designed to hold Gresham’s remains adjacent to the cenotaph, but the family decided not to move his body from an Evansville cemetery. Today the mall serves as a location for concerts, picnics, events ranging from Gay Pride to the Mayor’s Veteran Appreciation Day, and speakers, including candidate Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign.
[Would you like to see your old photographs featured in this Then and Now column? If so, attach a high resolution jpeg or png and any details about the building within our “Say Hi” link in the footer of our website.]