2822 East Washington Street library, “Indianapolis Public Library” “Branch No. 3” claims the distinction of being the oldest Indianapolis public library building still being used for its original purpose. The building is one of the famed “Carnegie Library” series, made possible by multi-millionaire, Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie is widely known as a steel magnate of the Victorian era, chose to grant money for the construction of libraries, which yielded over 2,500 libraries worldwide. The East Washington branch library was granted funds in 1909, and was designed by the architecture firm of Foltz and Parker. The library was dedicated and opened on November 14, 1910. In Carnegie’s letter to Mayor Bookwalter, he indicated that Indianapolis would be granted $120,000 to erect six branch libraries with the caveat that the city provide the sites and furnish $12,000 per year to maintain the libraries. Mere days later, Carnegie Branch Library No. 2 was dedicated at Mount and Ohio Streets, and still stands—though now home to the Hawthorne Center on the west side. Carnegie Branch Library No. 5 was opened in January 1911 at 1928 West Morris Street and was noted to be the “…third of its kind to be erected in Indianapolis.” (The original Morris Street structure appears to have been replaced with a newer building, though the site is still dedicated to a library branch.) It wasn’t until March 1912, that the Spades Library Branch No. 6 was dedicated, and The Indianapolis Star noted this was the fourth of six to be constructed in Indianapolis, leaving some of us to wonder what happened to No. 1 and No. 4.