Location: Old Northside
Greek for “entrance” or “gateway”
Propylaea are any monumental gateways based on the original Propylaea that serve as the entrance to the Acropolis in Athens.
When used by the Indianapolis Propylaeum, it means “gateway to culture.” The Indianapolis Propylaeum was founded by May Wright Sewall in 1888 as a social and cultural center for Indianapolis women. On January 21, 1891, 800 guests attended the opening and dedication of the Propylaeum on North Street between Meridian and Pennsylvania streets.
In 1924, The Propylaeum–the oldest private club owned and operated by and for women, purchased and moved to its current location 1410 N. Delaware Street.
Learn more about its beginnings and a photo of its former building here.
Want to take a tour of this space? An interview with “May Wright Sewall” reincarnated may be found within: