Named after: Suburb of Constantinople (now Istanbul, Turkey)
The Blacherne was the first luxury high-rise apartment building in Indianapolis. It was developed by General Lew Wallace, the famous Indiana military leader and author of Ben Hur.
From 1881 to 1885, under Presidents James A. Garfield and Chester A. Arthur, Wallace served as the U.S. ambassador to the Ottoman Empire (now Turkey) where he lived in Istanbul.
He named the building after Blachernae, a suburb of Istanbul, Turkey, that is home to the Church of St. Mary of Blachernae.
Photos courtesy of Ryan Hamlett.