According to historian W.R. Holloway, the city of Indianapolis was 26 years old when it went through something akin to puberty. “There was a change of features, of form, a suggestion of manhood, a trace of the beard and voice of virility,” Holloway later recollected. The year was 1847 and the railroad had arrived. After more than a quarter century as a sleepy country town, Indianapolis was finally wide awake and ready to smell the coffee.