Enterprise Hotel, W. H. Baker, Manager, No. 82 Massachusetts Ave.
Imagine Mass Ave with a boutique hotel on it…would have loved to see that!
Among the most popular hostelries, conducted upon metropolitan principles, with special regard to the comfort and convenience of guests, we may mention the Enterprise Hotel, centrally and eligibly located on Massachusetts Ave., within two squares of the Post Office, and accessible by direct cars to the Union Depot. This hotel is a substantially built four story brick structure with a frontage of 100 feet and a depth of 90 feet, containing 66 finely furnished rooms with all the modern conveniences of gas, water, baths, closets, etc. The office, parlors, reception rooms, etc., are spacious and commodious; the dining room has a seating capacity for 100 guests, and the culinary department is under the supervision of experienced cooks. The table is at all times supplied with the substantials and delicacies of the season, served in the most attractive manner by polite and courteous attendants and in every department is special attention paid to the comfort of guests. The sleeping apartments are large, airy, well ventilated and lighted, and the entire house has recently been thoroughly renovated and refurnished and the rates have been reduced to the popular prices of $1.50 per day to transient guests, with special reduced rates to day or regular boarders. The “Enterprise” is liberally patronized both by our own citizens and the traveling public. The hotel is under the immediate supervision of W. H. Baker, its genial and affable manager, who is always ready with a pleasant smile to “welcome the coming or speed the parting guest.” Mr. Baker is a native of New York State and was born in Duchess County in 1842. He was first engaged as a bookkeeper with the wholesale fruit house of A. & S. Baker in New York City, and came West in 1865, locating in Champagne County, Ill., where he was interested in the furniture business until 1878, when he sold out and engaged in the hotel business at the Doane House in Champagne County, Ill., removing to Indianapolis in 1881, assuming the management of the Enterprise Hotel, which under his judicious and careful control has attained a wide reputation with the traveling public, his house being crowded to its utmost capacity the year around, it being headquarters for conventions, jurors, legislators, etc., of the highest class of society people.
1887, the hotel is in the middle of the block, with single family residences behind it.
1898, the hotel is still there, but the area is becoming more commercial.
By 1914, the hotel was replaced presumably by Marott’s store.