Business: Glendale Shopping Center
Date of Ad: December 2, 1958
Location: Keystone Avenue and 62nd Street
Years of Operation: 1958-present
Notable: Even though it’s only Halloween, shoppers around the Circle City will notice Christmas decorations beginning to pop up any minute now. In 1958, a new way to buy goods promised shoppers all of the finest stores in town without any of the hassle. The 500,000 square foot Glendale Shopping Center featured L.S. Ayres, Blocks and a host of other stores surrounded by acres of asphalt insuring a parking spot for everyone.
Additionally: Glendale thrived through the 1980’s. Times began to change in 1987 when a merger with Lazarus ate up the local Block’s department store chain. Lazarus already had a store at the nearby Castleton Square. In 1993, Ayre’s opened a new store at Castleton, essentially making Glendale an older and smaller shopping option. When Lazarus left in 1999 several ill-fated remodeling attempts were made, but the center still lacked shoppers. In 2006, the center mall courtyard was demolished leaving the former Ayres (now Macy’s) and Block’s (Now Target) as stand alone stores. An outdoor “lifestyle center” component was also added. Glendale remains a convenient shopping destination for folks on the north if not the mega destination it once was.