On April 8, 1928, the Granada Theatre, owned and operated by Universal Pictures, opened in Fountain Square. In 1932, it was the first Indianapolis theater to screen a foreign language film, an Italian picture called, “Tierra Madre.” The film advertised above, from 1934, was shown in Yiddish with English subtitles. As has been the case with many of the original theaters in Indianapolis, the Granada closed in 1951. The G. C. Murphy Department Store took over the space, and the building is now an artists colony.
About The Author
Jessica Ballard-Barnett is a lawyer by day, and an amateur historian by night. A lifelong Indianapolis resident, she has a passion for old houses with velvet wallpaper, graveyards with ominous markers, and religious relics.
June 26, 2011
October 12, 2014
February 9, 2014
December 4, 2011
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Don't miss the special HI extras in our newsletter!