The Grand Hotel, on the southeast corner of Maryland and Illinois Streets, was built in the 1850s as the Mason Hotel. After a large remodeling project in 1875-76, the high-class establishment was known as the Grand Hotel. The hotel became a gathering spot for local and visiting Democrats after party leader, and future mayor, Thomas Taggart purchased the hotel in the early 1890s. Today the site is an entrance to the Circle Centre Mall.