Location: Near East side, Runs North-South
Indianapolis & Bellefontaine Railroad; Bellefontaine, OH
The Indianapolis and Bellefontaine Railroad was Indiana’s second railroad line and once ran along Massachusetts Ave. and south along the current path of Bellefontaine St.
The company started in 1846 as the Pendelton and Indianapolis Railroad. The new railroad was chartered in 1848 and connected with Union City, Indiana and Bellfontaine, Ohio. Bellefontaine, which means “beautiful spring” in French, is an east central Ohio town that served as a railroad hub throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
Ownership of the railroad changed several times, but it was eventually absorbed by the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railroad in 1889.
All Photos Courtesy Sergio Bennett