Spring Mill Rd.
Seth Bacon’s grist mill, called “Spring Mill”
Once know as the Spring Mill-Williams Creek Gravel Rd., Spring Mill was named after an old mill site located roughly where present day Spring Mill Road meets Kessler Blvd and the White River.
Seth Bacon was an early resident and businessman of Indianapolis and built the first mill in the town of Millersville around 1824. He also helped found the town. Bacon also operated a mill was located at the top of Crows Nest Hill on the west side of “Mill Road,” just south of what is now Holliday Park. The mill used an old spring that flowed out of the hills, and its remnants and the mill pond are still on the property on the west edge of Spring Mill Road.
John Krise, an early settler of Crows Nest, also opeated a mill in the area from 1840 to 1860. It was a larger and more elaborate mill and was located on the East side of the Road and was also known as Krise’s Mill or Spring Mill. Most of the natural springs that existed in the area have been eliminated or diminished.
All photos courtesy of Sergio Bennett.