Ever wonder how Totem Lane, in the Golden Hill neighborhood got its name?
David Parry, the owner of Parry Manufacturing Company, owned land and built his estate on land that today encompasses the neighborhood of Golden Hill. After the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Parry received a gift of an Alaskan totem pole, which was displayed as part of the Brady Collection (John Brady, governor of the Alaska Territory from 1897 to 1906) at the Alaska Pavilion.
The pole was 30-feet tall and built by the Haida Nation. Parry erected the totem pole on his property where it stood until a storm knocked it over in 1939. A replica of the pole is at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. Many of the other totem poles from the collection were returned to Alaska and stand in Sitka National Historic Park.
Photos courtesy Sergio Bennett
DO wish to follow the history of Golden Hill, Armstrong Park (now the Woodstock Club) and this pocket of beauty off west 38th!
David MacLean Parry’s Golden Hill residence is currently on the market. Originally surrounded by 100 wooded acres on a hill above the Central Canal and the White River, the land around the property now consists of only about 3.5 acres. Remarkably, in more than a century the home has had only three owners. Most of its original materials and features remain untouched.