This advertisement, from the 1859 Indianapolis City Directory, features the City Cigar Store, whose proprietor was Charles M. Raschig. Mr. Raschig was a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was born in 1836. He came to Indianapolis in 1855, and opened the City Cigar Store the same year in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. He had to briefly relocate his business while the Citizen’s Bank Building was built. The business started small at first, but by 1883, it posted annual sales of $60,000 to $75,000 (roughly $1.5 – $2 million adjusted to today’s inflation rate).
Raschig was noted as a prominent Indianapolis citizen, and the foremost cigar and tobacco dealer in the area. His daughter, Anna, married Aquilla Q. Jones, a successful Indianapolis lawyer who partnered in law with Indianapolis’ former mayor Thomas L. Sullivan. Charles Raschig died in 1891, and is buried with his wife, Louisa, in Crown Hill Cemetery.