Name of Business: Fidelity Trust Company
Date of Advertisement: April 1, 1956
Service Provided: Banking
Notable: The Fidelity Trust Company began banking in Indianapolis in 1909, with William Fogerty serving as the first president. The organization had an eight-story building constructed in 1915 at 148-150-152 East Market Street, which still stands today. By 1956, the local institution had grown to eight branch locations scattered across the city. In July of 1959, Fidelity was absorbed by local banking heavyweight American Fletcher National Bank. AFNB became a part of Bank One in the mid 1980s before succumbing to national giant Chase.
Additionally: The building at 1440 North Meridian Street, known as the Riddick Building, was probably better known for what went on upstairs. WISH radio at 1310 AM took to the airwaves in 1941 and moved into the newly completed facility in 1949. WISH got out of the radio business in 1963 to focus on its television station, Channel 8, selling the station to STAR Broadcasting. The call letters were promptly changed to WIFE, and the station became the top rock and roll radio destination in the city. “Lucky 13” employed a colorful array of disc jockeys known as the “WIFE Good Guys.” Things were not so good in radioland, however. STAR Broadcasting lost its radio license in 1976. The station has recently gone through several format changes, and today the frequency plays urban gospel music under the call letters WTLC. In later years, the Riddick Building became home to local upstart television station WXIN 59.
An era of broadcasting history ended when Fox 59 moved to its plush new studios in Pike Township in 2003. After sitting vacant and neglected for a decade, the building was demolished in 2013 to make way for the Indiana Red Cross.