Location: Near Eastside
Namesake: Dorman Davidson, grandson of Noah Noble
Governor Noah Noble, in addition to his service as the fourth governor of Indiana, was a major landowner in early Indianapolis and owned much of the land that now encompasses the Near Eastside.
Dorman St. was named after Governor Noble’s grandson, Dorman Davidson. Dorman was born October 26, 1841 to Catherine Noble Davdison, the governor’s daughter, and Alexander H. Davidson. Dorman was the oldest of his siblings: Preston, Noah, Catherine and Susan. His name “Dorman” was likely derived from his maternal grandmother’s maiden name, Susan Dorman.
Dorman was married to Virginia, who also went by Jennie, who was born around 1843 in Kentucky. Dorman and Jennie had five children: Dorman, Jr., Lavalette, Katharine, Retta and Hellen. Over the years, he worked as farmer, a fire insurance agent and a stock trader.
In November, 1865, the Davidson family platted the area bounded by the railroad on the west, St. Clair Street on the north, Oriental Street on the east, and Michigan Street on the south as “Davidson’s Heirs’ Second Addition” and “P. A. Davidson’s Addition,” named for Preston A. Davidson. As such, Dorman St. (as well as Davidson Street) was born.
After leaving the family property, he eventually took up a residence on Michigan Road near Crown Hill Cemetery. Dorman died in 1915 and is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.
Dorman Street Saloon, local landmark